nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:24:13 -0800

John Peach wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:16:49 -0500
"TJ" <trejrco () gmail com> wrote:

    The SOX auditor ought to know better.  Any auditor that
    requires NAT is incompenent.
Sadly, there are many audit REQUIREMENTS explicitly naming NAT and
RFC1918 addressing ...

SOX auditors are incompetent. I've been asked about anti-virus software
on UNIX servers and then asked to prove that they run UNIX.........

Not just SOX. I vaguely remember something in PCI about NAT. It wouldn't
surprise me if every auditing thing involving computers said something
about requiring NAT. See my earlier comment about NAT=firewall.

~Seth