nanog mailing list archives

Re: real hardware router VS linux router

From: Leen Besselink <leen () consolejunkie net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:27:26 +0100

mike wrote:
Well,

   Our operation uses linux everywhere and we have our own in house tiny
embedded flavor with all the tools and things that make it suited for
use in big and small boxes as many kinds of router and general packet
flipping appliance. I have confidence built on long term, real world
experience that says I can do this sucessfully, but the price I pay for
it is the knowledge curve and having had to invent the 'right' mix of
stuff, which includes compact flash based boot media, read-only
filesystem, and minimal management (command line via ssh, you need to be
an expert), and as well as having had to select the right hardware
(constraints include power on always, no dumb bios to stop the boot
process, and other issues).

   I would never ever reccomend that anyone just 'use linux' for network
appliances. It *can* do the job, but all the baggage of 'pc hardware'
typically conspires to make for less than rock solid. Stuff like hard
disks, which crash malfunction corrupt, and issues like - does the box
power on when power is applied or does someone have to press a button?
(You will note, most commercial hardware like routers and switches
either don't have a power button, or simply default to being 'on' unless
you take pains to flip buttons somewhere. But, PC's typically have a
power button you have to press to make it come on). And there's other
issues too - PC Bios's also conspire to get in the way and stop the boot
process. If they detect some sort of error, a key press, a missing disk,
or many other excuses, they stop cold waiting for someone to 'press f1
to continue', or worse. Also most PC systems also have single power
supply units, and that which are less sturdy construction and are more
likely to burn out at some point than the more heavy duty commercial
grade units you see in commercial router/switch equipment).

   The difference then between linux and 'a hardware router' then is
that the manufacturer - cisco, juniper, whomever - has a large degree of
control over the integration between their software and the hardware it
runs on, and can dictate all of the things that makes the product work
like the boot process and it's internal storage and wether there are
sufficient fans and what kind of power supplie(s) are present and wether
there's a hardware watchdog (that works!) and the type of chips serving
as the ethernet controllers (which dictates all kinds of things that the
mnf considers 'features'). It's a long list.

   To summarize, you can do many jobs with linux. How WELL you do them,
however, is more of a function of how much exerience and knowledge that
you have. You can also do many jobs with commercial boxes, but how well
you do that job can be expressed more in terms of selecting the right
platform and plugging the right configuration lines into it, and both of
these can easilly be 'done well' in exchange for money (router vendor
support team, etc).

If you had to choose, it's probably smarted to go with OpenBSD, it has a
lot better integration of packet filter, bgpd-daemon, ospf, vrrp-like, etc.

Also depending on the structure and needs of your network, PC-routers may
be cheaper and thus you can buy more of them for redundancy.

Linux has other qualities, for smaller router and firewall setups I would
prefer OpenBSD. But people can do whatever they want, hell even my (Sony
Bravia) TV runs Linux.

Mike-

Deric Kwok wrote:
Hi All

Actually, what is the different hardware router VS linux router?

Have you had experience to compare real router eg: cisco VS linux router?

eg: streaming speed... tcp / udp

Thank you for your information