nanog mailing list archives

Re: real hardware router VS linux router

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:52:09 +1300

On 22/02/2009, at 8:27 AM, Leen Besselink wrote:

If you had to choose, it's probably smarted to go with OpenBSD, it has a lot better integration of packet filter, bgpd-daemon, ospf, vrrp- like, etc.

If you have one eBGP session in your whole network, sure.

However if you have more than one, BGP cannot do the "Prefer the path with the lowest IGP next-hop metric" thing, as OpenBGPd does not know metrics from OpenOSPFd. Someone commented that OpenBSD would be able to do this soon as metrics were added in to the routing code in - current, but I have not tried this personally and a quick couple of queries on Google didn't reveal anything other than internal OpenOSPFd stuff.

I have however used OpenBGPd and OpenOSPFd with great success on routers we put at single-homed customer sites for a small business- only ISP I used to work at. We used BGP communities to put prefixes in to PF tables, and then shaped and accounted based on that. (Here in NZ we have a few thousand domestic prefixes, which transit to/from is often cheaper than transit off-shore).

--
Nathan Ward