nanog mailing list archives

Re: real hardware router VS linux router

From: Brandon Galbraith <brandon.galbraith () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:01:52 -0600

On 2/19/09, mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com> wrote:

Steve Bertrand wrote:

Ryan Harden wrote:

While you could probably build a linux router that is just as fast as a
real hardware router, you're always going to run into the moving pieces
part of the equation.

Not if you boot directly from USB key into memory with no disk drive.

Steve

I am sorry, but this is wrong. A USB Key is another 'PC Architecture' that
DOES NOT WORK for network devices. There is NO positive mechanical force to
keep that thing inserted, and the way a USB Key would hang off most devices
with a USB port, would put it at very high risk for being accidentally
bumped / disconnected. Secondly, there are still many many PC Architecture
boxen that still do not boot correctly from USB.

I've used a hot glue gun to glue a USB key to the device/server/etc in
question. Works very well against being bumped or accidentally dislodged.

-brandon

--
Brandon Galbraith
Voice: 630.400.6992