nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:20:05 -0600 (CST)

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:05:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

Since this is verizon, one wonders why this has never been tried on
wrong, non-working phone numbers?

      Visit your local chevy dealer, no interest for 12 months! We're
      sorry, the number you have reached....

is it illegal?

Before they could  do it, they'd have to file -- and get approved -- a
tariff with the public utilities commission in each state.

I'm not at all sure how well such a proposal would fly there.

How long before they'll just make you sit thru a few seconds of pitch
before connecting any call? Or any website? How hard is it to stick up
a quick bit of flash (e.g.) and then fade to the page you requested?

For a browser -- like, say 'lynx' -- that doesn't even fetch flash links??

<evil grin>