nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:41:33 -0600 (CST)

From: Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com>
Subject: Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:07:14 -0800

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:05:26 -0500

Since this is verizon, one wonders why this has never been tried on
wrong, non-working phone numbers?

      Visit your local chevy dealer, no interest for 12 months! We're
      sorry, the number you have reached....

is it illegal?

Before they could  do it, they'd have to file -- and get approved -- a
tariff with the public utilities commission in each state.

I'm not at all sure how well such a proposal would fly there.

There are already companies offering advertising funded
long distance service. And advertising funded VoIP dialtone.

It's not like this is a hypothetical that's bizarrely out there.

Then there was the day, circa 20 years ago now, that the ILEC modified
'ring no answer' handling to insert a voice ad for their call-back service
on every call that hadn't been answered after some small number (4??) of
rings -- while continuing to ring the line.  We had a large outgoing faxmodem
bank to estabished clients, that would alarm and abort if it encountered
'VOICE' on a _known_ data-only line.

That was an 'interesting' day.

*VERY* strong words were said to the telco -- to the effect of 'remove that
misbegotten feature _RIGHT_NOW_, and never, *never* put any additionnal
'feature' on any of our lines without our specific approval in writing.'

We weren't the only people expressing extreme displeasure at the tactic.
I don't know of any lawsuits actually filed -- I do have direct knowledge
that several were under serious consideration.

I believe that the State  regulatory authority made them remove it as a
'default', and deploy it only for lines where the owner made specific
request for it to be added.