nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

From: Eliot Lear <lear () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 08:27:11 +0100

Sean,

Yes, it sounds like the evil bit.  Why would anyone bother to set it?

Two reasons

1) By standardizing the process, it removes the excuse for using
various hacks and duct tape.

2) Because the villian in Bond movies don't view themselves as evil.
Google is happy to pre-check the box to install their Toolbar, OpenDNS
is proud they redirect phishing sites with DNS lookups, Earthlink says it
improves the customer experience, and so on.

Forgive my skepticism, but what I would envision happening is resolver
stacks adding a switch that would be on by default, and would translate
the response back to NXDOMAIN.  At that point we would be right back
where we started, only after a lengthy debate, an RFC, a bunch of code,
numerous bugs, and a bunch of "I told you sos".

Or put another way: what is a client resolver supposed to do in the face
of this bit?

Eliot