nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP CALEA compliance

From: "Mike Hammett" <nanog () ics-il net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:35:50 -0500

I recommend Kris Twomey...   lokt.net

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Smith" <dave () mvn net>
To: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: ISP CALEA compliance

Nikos Mouat wrote:

I have interpretted CALEA to apply only to providers of VOICE service,
be it VOIP or traditional, however I was told this morning point blank
by the FCC that CALEA most definitely applies to all ISPs that provide
internet access at speeds over 200k.

That, and the definition of ISP, are still a bit fuzzy...

wireless () wispa org, for instance, has had a LOT of chatter about that,
but WISPA's staff attorney believes that small wireless ISPs are
required to be CALEA-compliant. (WISPA is a trade association for
wireless ISPs.) If small ISPs have to be compliant, it's probably safe
to assume big ISPs are too. :)