nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP CALEA compliance

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:17:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Nikos Mouat wrote:

I have interpretted CALEA to apply only to providers of VOICE service, be
it VOIP or traditional, however I was told this morning point blank by the
FCC that CALEA most definitely applies to all ISPs that provide internet
access at speeds over 200k.

The FCC said that routers must send a copy of all packets to and from a
selected IP to law enforcement in real time from gateway routers.

I've seen very little CALEA related traffic on this list which reinforced
my belief that it did not apply to data providers.

Can anyone comment on this?

you have 4 days, work fast... Actually, I'd ask your in-house-counsel
about your current status and whether or not things you do would fall into
the CALEA bucket. Also, work fast, there's only 4 days left :(

I believe there was some chatter on a puck.nether.net list, perhaps Jared
has that handy? or another reader does?