nanog mailing list archives

IPv6 & DNS

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:19:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Barrett Lyon <blyon () blyon com> wrote:

I don't see any v6 glue there...  Rather than having
conversations
about transition to IPv6, maybe we should be sure it
works natively
first?  It's rather ironic to think that for v6 DNS
to work an
incumbent legacy protocol is still required.

Consider that Windows XP (and server 2k3) will not,
under any circumstance, send a DNS request over IPv6,
and yet they were widely considered "IPv6 compliant."

Consider also how long it took to get a working way of
telling autoconfigured hosts about which DNS servers
to use (without manually entering 128-bit addresses).

To me, the above show that the bulk of the actual
deployments were in dual-stack or tunnel environments,
and greenfield implementations were few and far
between.  There's a surprising amount of unexplored
"here be dragons" territory in IPv6, given how long
some very smart people have been working on it.

-David Barak

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com