nanog mailing list archives

Re: IAB and "private" numbering

From: Mark Smith <random () 72616e646f6d20323030342d30342d31360a nosense org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:02:06 +1030

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:12:13 +0000 (GMT)
"Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com> wrote:

<snip>

I don't believe there is a 'rfc1918' in v6 (yet), I agree that it doesn't
seem relevant, damaging perhaps though :)

Sort of do, with a random component in them to help attempt to prevent
collisions :

"RFC 4193 - Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc4193.html

    IMHO, assigning globally unique prefixes to those who utilize IP
    protocols, regardsless of whom else they choose to "see" via routing
    is the right course.  every other attempt to split the assignements
    into "us" vs. "them" has had less than satisfactory results.

agreed

See above ... that was pretty much the fundamental goal of ULAs - unique
address space, not dependant on a provider, not intended to be globally
routable, preferred over global addresses so that connections can
survive global address renumbering events.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."