nanog mailing list archives

Re: IAB and "private" numbering

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:41:43 +0000

i rant, yet again.

    what is this "the" public routing table?  where does one
    get it?  in my 25 years of networking I have NEVER seen it.

Have you seen the moon? Touched it? I still can't be convinced that
pluto exists, I haven't seen it, but it appears to be there ;)

        seen them both.

    i am convinced that it is a fictional as the "public" Internet.
    or the "DFZ" ... they do not exist, except in the fevered
    imaginations of marketing droids... and the virus is more virulent
    than the H5N1 strain.  Note that it affects normally sane engineers
    who KNOW better.

Well I apparently have a lot of nasty viruses floating around in my body
at http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/ I used "DFP" with which I mean:

"Default Free Prefix, a prefix routed without having any smaller
prefixes covering it. Removing such a prefix will make the
prefix unreachable."

DFZ would be the group of all DFP's.

        routed where?  your router?  my router?   until/unless
        you can look at EVERY router and see this mythical DFP
        in ALL of them, then i remain convinced you are deluded.

 Jeroen

--bill