nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:27:19 -0400

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:27:23 PDT, Justin Mason said:

BTW, someone (possibly Randal L. Schwartz) came up with a neat related
trick to the above -- set up an interface alias on *the same machine* as
the primary MX, list that as the last MX in the list, and (assuming that
the software side of the primary MX is reliable) you're then assured that
any SMTP traffic that arrives on that IP's port 25 is spam, since when
the primary MX's hardware goes down, this MX will, too.

(Damn, left out a paragraph somehow)

And in fact, given that most link hiccups *are* transitory, the chances are *good*
that if our attempts at the first MX fail, the link will be back before we finish
running through the MX's - at which point we find ourselves talking to a spamtrap.