nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Cidr Report

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () mail iucc ac il>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:24:15 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Jon Lewis wrote:

I've personally dealt with a customer not too long ago who when we turned
them up was announcing 2 /20s, a /21, a /22, and several /23s and /24s all
deaggregated as /24s.  Sprint and Qwest (their other upstreams at the
time) apparently had no problem with this.  I saw what they were doing and
asked them why.  "That's how our router consultant set it up."  There was
no technical reason for it.  I helped them reaggregate their BGP
announcements.

I'll bet there are at least hundreds of similar AS's that just need to
be prodded (or maybe even some hand holding or config help) in order to
clean up their announcements.

It would appear that ARIN education is somehow lacking in regards to their
paying membership.

-Hank

[see my previous post]

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route