nanog mailing list archives

Re: Charter blocking Port 25

From: Richard Parker <richard () electrophobia com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:39:52 -0700

on 6/9/04 9:10 PM, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy at grisha () ispol com wrote:

Cox also filters your e-mail on their SMTP server such that if it contains
both words "root" and "password" it will get silently dropped.  This is
why I'm using an alternate port to bypass their SMTP server (or you
wouldn't get this e-mail).

I find it hard to believe that Cox has secretly implemented a policy of
dropping all outgoing mail that contains the phrase "root password."  In
fact, I just sent this e-mail to the NANOG mailing list via the Cox SMTP
server smtp.west.cox.net, so if they have implemented such a policy, they
haven't implemented it on all of their servers.

-Richard