nanog mailing list archives

Re: Route Supression Problem

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:54:51 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Peter E. Fry wrote:

You are right, it is depressing. However, I don't see how the penalty
multiplication could happen here, you need a few hops in between for
that.

  Ah, but this is the Internet.  Jack's two upstreams likely have direct
or indirect links between them where they will also receive the route
updates in question.

Dampening is done on the eBGP router where the route enters the AS, and,
unless I'm mistaken, per route/path and not per prefix. So the flapping
that ISP A sees from ISP B is a completely seperate thing from the
flapping that ISP A sees from its customer's customer as far as the
dampening algorithm is concerned.

  Should we change the subject (back) to "BGP to doom us all"?

For all the criticism that BGP is subjected to, I find it curious that
nobody has proposed a replacement protocol (that I'm aware of).