nanog mailing list archives

Re: Route Supression Problem

From: Adam Rothschild <asr () asr org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:03:49 -0500

On 2003-03-12-09:01:23, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
Still using MRTG? Have you read this?
http://www.mit.edu/~rbeverly/papers/rtg-lisa02.pdf
Or this? http://rtg.sourceforge.net/docs/rtgfaq.html

[...]

Seriously, how much do you risk losing over one incident like this
where you don't have the data to show your customer exactly what
happened and give them the impression that you are an amazing TCP/IP
guru? MRTG is utterly obsolete; replace it!

Ok, let's call a spade a spade.  I've been an "early adopter" of RTG,
and am using it for traffic graphing in a production environment (in
conjunction with a more tested Cricket/RRD setup, for redundancy and
data verification).  I think it's a nifty tool, with great potential,
a clueful and responsive maintainer, and a loyal user base continually
developing and contributing cool stuff.  However, like any software in
its infancy, RTG is far from perfect.

I find it unfair to label MRTG as "utterly obsolete," nor to speak of
RTG -- or any one tool -- as a drop-in replacement appropriate for all
environments.  Sure it doesn't scale particularly well, but there's a
certain appeal to its simplicity and versatility, which I consider a
key to its continued usage in the face of more robust alternatives.

-a