nanog mailing list archives

Re: Certification or College degrees? Was: RE: list problems?

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 22 May 2002 22:59:27 -0700

I guess I've got a little bit of a mad on about this topic.  Hit "D" now.

--------

floresp10 () cox net ("Paul A Flores") writes:

What you have to remember is that having a degree or certification allows
the non-clue full out in the 'real' world to easily tell the difference
between you and say, the world's smartest garbage man.

The trouble is, often times I'd rather hire the world's smartest garbage
man.  I never forget that when I got done interviewing for my first full
time programming job I went back to my job fixing cars and pumping gas, and
my fallback plan in case programming didn't work out was driving a tow
truck (which paid better than either.)  As it happens they hired me, and now
my skills have atrophied to where I actually pay other people to fix my car
since I don't grok all the new hoses and computer thingies they have now.

--------

bicknell () ufp org (Leo Bicknell) writes:

So what you're saying is, if I hadn't dropped out of high school during
my 17th trip around Sol, I wouldn't've gotten stuck in this dead end job?

I said college provides those skills.  I did not say college was
the only way to get those skills.  The converse is true as well,
having those skills doesn't guarantee success.

Actually you said...

If you ever want to become a team leader, or a manger, or run a
theoretical group you are going to need the math and English
backgrounds that college provides.  ...

...and your use of the word "ever" is what cost me a higher score on the
nanog all-time posting stats just released here.  As of ten years ago, I've
been assured by professional educators that I am up to snuff on the things
one is supposed to learn from a masters' program.  But before that I'd been
completely self taught and there were enormous gaps in my knowledge -- yet
the code and docs I wrote are in some cases still in production use, and I
set and held records for operational uptime as what's now called a "sysadmin",
and I'm having a lot of trouble relating any of that to the presence or
absence of a degree or vendor certification.

--------

bicknell () ufp org (Leo Bicknell) also writes:

Cisco has done an excellent job @ brainwashing the IT
community. The have (unfortunately) set the standard for
"Network Engineers".

I'm biased, see .sig, but having been through the process, and seen
what other vendors (eg, Microsoft, Novell) do with their programs
I do believe that Cisco wants their certifications to mean something.

I'm also biased, but as I told you when you and I shared a reporting chain,
I never held your CCIE against you since you'd demonstrated competence.  I
have met more CCIE's who were gibbering morons hiding their lack of skill
behind their vendor certification thatn I have met CCIE's who, like you,
probably ended up teaching the teacher a thing or two during "the process."

In 1981 and '82 I worked for Golden Gate University, and part of my job was
as a lab aid for COBOL and database students.  A more earnest crew, I have
never met.  But I can assure you that 19 out of 20 of those students were
going to come out of the program knowing exactly what was required to pass
the tests and get a job, and not one speck more.

Give me someone with the yearn to do and to know and to succeed, and I can
plug them into the right team and get a hell of a lot more work done, than
if you give me someone who has *only* the right letters after their name.

Again, statistically speaking, CCIE has more often indicated moronhood
than excellence, amongst those I have met.  I forgave you yours, but only
after watching you carefully for a couple of months to make sure that CCIE
was an irrelevant accident in your case.
--
Paul Vixie <vixie () eng paix net>
President, PAIX.Net Inc.