nanog mailing list archives

Re: list problems?

From: <up () 3 am>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:20:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Leo Bicknell wrote:

If you ever want to become a team leader, or a manger, or run a
theoretical group you are going to need the math and English
backgrounds that college provides.  You may also need a deeper
knowledge of hardware and software to understand a vendors limits,
and work with them on appropriate solutions.  You will need to be
able to work on large projects, involving many people to do complex
tasks, all part of what college can help you learn.

I really thought I was going to stay out of this, but I can't ignore this;
sorry to those that are justifiably irritated by this thread:

I'm not dismissing that a college education has real value, but let's keep
it in perspective.  Real-world example:  I have only a few college
credits.  Since I'm almost 41, I don't see myself finding time to pursue
it much further.  My wife, on the other hand, just got her Phd from an
Ivy League institution.  I don't think anyone that knows us feels that she
has a much better grasp of English or Math than I do.  She has a *much*
better grasp of her field (Sociology) than I will ever have, and I have a
much better grasp of mine than she ever will.

My point is this:  There is no magic switch or metamorphosis that occurs
when one gets a degree.  It's an admirable achievement, but IMHO, no more
so than starting an ISP from scratch and building it into a profitable
business.  I could easily make a case that the latter is a better "real
world" lesson.  It certainly is a better real world bread winner.

So, do you need a degree to get a job?  Absolutely not.  Can you
make the same money initially without a degree, most likely.
However, I suspect you'll find more often than not without one in
5 years you'll have gotten your 10% raise and still be a grunt,
while your coworkers who had that preparation will have been moved
up to roles with more responsibility, and significantly more money.

This is probably correct, unfortunately.  That is why, after all is said
and done, I would strongly encourage anyone who's started school to at
least get a BA/BS.  For real and perceived reasons, it leaves one with
more options...and you won't need to haul around that big chip on your
shoulder for the rest of your life, like I do. :=)

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up () 3 am                                                          http://3.am