nanog mailing list archives

Cable as Common Carrier (was Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?)

From: "Robert A. Hayden" <rhayden () geek net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:42:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I think that requirement still stands in Canada, but until newer
standards-compliant cable modems become more common it's "hard" to do
and so nobody's doing it yet (and there is some whining on both sides).

Our local cable provider pitched an MPLS-based VPN service to us
yesterday.  Basicly, they would group, by the MAC of the DOCSIS-compliant
cable modem, our remote users into a common Layer-2 bucket and tunnel them
directly to us, where we would handle DHCP handouts for the PCs and
routing.

Of course, they then told it it was probably a year away and our interest
sagged significantly.