nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:54:54 -0500

Thus spake "Stephen Griffin" <stephen.griffin () rcn com>
The lack of clue tends to be on the providing in-addr side of
things.  I think it is a great thing to refuse connections from
ips without in-addr, in the same way it is great to refuse mail
from domains that don't provide postmaster addresses.

On first reading, I thought that was sarcasm.  Now I realize you're serious.

It is a means through which one can influence the laziness of
others.  Simply disregarding what others do, only legitimizes
the laziness, and continues us along the road of everyone
doing the absolute minimum.
You neglect to include the option of the customer changing
to an ISP that provides in-addr.

So, if you ran Amazon.com, you wouldn't accept money from customers of clueless
ISPs?

Sadly, even that level of coercion wouldn't be anywhere near enough to motivate
most ISPs.  And your (non-)customers will be caught in the crossfire.