nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:12:28 -0400

        And it will continue to work that way.

        That is the quality work of the people who spend many
man-hours putting together such a system that is robust enough
that when i decide that when you send me e-mail (not via a list)
from a host that has no reverse dns, i can easily flag that for
further scrutiny.

        What you are missing here is that, while yes, you can
send e-mail from root@[1.2.3.4] to people, they may say "hmm, e-mail
from an ip address is not typical of the people that i communicate
with", and therefore treat it differntly.  just like policy-routing
but for your mailbox.

        it is a good reflection of provider clue(tm).  even if they
have rev-192.168.0.1.example.com. as their reverse dns, it's slightly
more responsible (imho) than nothing/nxdomain.

        - jared