nanog mailing list archives

Re: istop arrogance

From: Ralph Doncaster <ralph () istop com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:16:35 -0400 (EDT)

Why won't the rest of the world see extra hops and increased latency
reaching my network (for the 50% of the time that the wrong transit
provider is picked).

Because you could *gasp* be intelligent with your network design and do
things like purchase transit from the same carriers in both your serving
markets.

I guess you don't consider redundancy to be intelligent.  I do.  I guess
you can call me stupid.

The problem here Ralph is that you see absolutely no problem with doing
things on your network that have minimal benefit to you, yet have global
impact.

The problem here Paul is that you can't seem to see the forest for the
trees.

If you consider routing table size reduction so important, why don't you
filter all /24's?  That will give you much more benefit than /20's that
have been de-aggregated.

-Ralph