nanog mailing list archives

RE: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:40:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:

Maybe the p2p vendors should implement IPv6, it might also
take a while until RIAA finds them again :-)

Then I hope they'll implement RFC 3041, otherwise the RIAA
will go on a massive MAC address hunt...

Hmm a MAC... and then (sweet, dude) ?
I still don't get it why that would be a problem, simply because:
- one can change your IP by hand and/or automagically (RFC 3041 like you
mentioned)
- MAC's can be changed (ifconfig hwaddr... )

Yes, but rebooting each time you change the MAC address for your windows
box gets somewhat tiresome after a while...

And then still.. they know that 'something/one' from a certain /48 did
'something'.

Ok, first of all: it was a joke. I guess I should have included a :-)

Second: that the record industry might think it's a good idea has little
bearing on it being actually a good idea. I have no trouble believing they
would subpoena ethernet card sales records from stores to find out MAC
addresses to go after people who trade MP3s if they thought there was a 1%
chance it would do their cause any good. And it might, since most PC users
don't know what a MAC address is, let alone how to change it.

So what, if you pay at a store with your VISA or AMEX or simply your
bankcard.
That company holds at least your accountnumber, let's crossreference
that.

Never heard of cash?

(BTW your post wout be easier to read if the lines were < 80 chars.)

Same thing (IMHO ;) as the IP address thing, it pops up at several
places and they
can do many statistical stuff with it for behaviour research, buy styles
etc.

Yes. I use a static address that is easily correlated with lots of
real-life info about me, and I'm not always happy about that.

ipv6 [-p] gpu UseAnonymousAddresses [yes|no|always|Counter]
that's how you turn that stupid feature off, it is annoying IMHO and
quite useless as

Why is it stupid, annoying and useless?

Iljitsch van Beijnum