nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadening the IPv6 discussion

From: Kurtis Lindqvist <kurtis () kurtis pp se>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:54:40 +0200 (CEST)

        with IPv6 (without NAT), server can just introduce client A's address
        to B, and let them video-chat directly.  so game operators will be
        able to reduce the size of central server, and traffic to server will
        be decreased.  so for game operators, IPv6 has major (commercial)
        benefit.

Remember that for this to happen, you also need multicast. And since IPv4

Petri I think the point is that you actually don't need multicast to do
it. For it to scale - yes. But not to do it. I guess that is also partly
why multicast has not taken off..

- kurtis -