nanog mailing list archives

RE: QOS or more bandwidth

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Eric Whitehill wrote:

I know of someone who is trying to do a VOIP system over a wireless
network - they are having limited success, but when they did some packet
switching magic, it seemed to help some, but last I checked they are still
having issues with it dropping calls and the phone system constantly
resetting.  Is VOIP really ready for such practices as to allow business
to totally rely on VOIP in this matter?

I think you're asking the wrong question:

Is low-cost commidity wireless networking ready to support delay and
jitter critical applications?

I think the answer is no.