nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:47:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Scott Francis wrote:

On or around Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:37:26AM -0800, Patrick Greenwell may have written:

Suddenly, I feel like I should be grabbing your hand and engaging in a
rousing rendition of "Kumbayah my lord."

Rather you or myself like it or not, given the existence of a player
that has the capital to make this idea go, the market now has an
opportunity to decide for itself.

Unfortunately, "the market" tends to consist in large majority of 1) users,
and 2) management. And we all know how bright those two particular
segments of the population tend to be.

Well, those are the people defining your paycheck, sure you want to write
them off so quickly?

If, as a group, the NANOG readership decides to take a single position on
anything (ha!), then we could very likely effectively determine in which
direction "the market" will go. After all, if _nobody's_ customers can access
new.net's non-sanctioned gTLDs, they can't very well go to another provider
for such access, and new.net will die the quick death that it deserves.

You might want to take a long, careful, hard look at who has been doing
the sanctioning and how they've been making those decisions before jumping
on the bandwagon. Just a friendly suggestion.