nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:17:25 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Scott Francis wrote:

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:47:05PM -0800, Patrick Greenwell had this to say:

Unfortunately, "the market" tends to consist in large majority of 1) users,
and 2) management. And we all know how bright those two particular
segments of the population tend to be.

Well, those are the people defining your paycheck, sure you want to write
them off so quickly?

the very reason they pay my (all our) paycheck is for technical expertise -
if Joe Q. User had technical expertise sufficient to make informed decisions
on this type of matter, why would he need to hire a network operator?

Consumer demand is not driven by your technical expertise.

This whole matter boils down to one question - that being, what way is the
Right Way to operate DNS or its equivalent? It seems to me (and a few others)
that, logically, any hierarchical system _must_ have an ultimate authority -
not 2 or 3 or 27, which is essentially what new.net is trying to do: create
an alternate ultimate authority.

DNS as it currently exists is a fixed point in an evolutionary path.