nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: "Edward S. Marshall" <esm () logic net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:09:31 -0600

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 05:28:53AM -0800, Scott Francis wrote:
Unfortunately, "the market" tends to consist in large majority of 1)
users, and 2) management. And we all know how bright those two
particular segments of the population tend to be.

Bright or not, these not-so-bright people have a direct impact on your
bottom line. Up to you if you want to ignore that, though.

If, as a group, the NANOG readership decides to take a single position on
anything (ha!), then we could very likely effectively determine in which
direction "the market" will go. After all, if _nobody's_ customers can access
new.net's non-sanctioned gTLDs, they can't very well go to another provider
for such access, and new.net will die the quick death that it deserves.

I read this and immediately remembered Michael Dillon; is he still around?
There were always interesting discussions about collusion and price-fixing
back in the good old days.

(I'm referring to the idea that the core Internet operators would collude
to drive a relatively new entrant to the field (new.net) out of business.
Yes, it's an anal way to look at it. No, IANAL. No, I don't have a point,
just reminiscing. ;-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm () logic net>                http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/
[                  Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.                  ]