nanog mailing list archives

Re: Statements against new.net?

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:39:37 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:29:23 PST, Patrick Greenwell said:

To be clear I am not arguing the merits of any of these particular
efforts, but simply that they exist, are operational, and as of yet the
"Internet" has not come crashing down upon anyones head.

Yes, and I can run an SMTP server that requires all input to be ROT13
encrypted, and it won't bring down the Internet.  If 2-3% of the sites
ran such SMTP servers, it wouldn't bring down the internet.

If however, half the servers were ROT13 and half weren't, and the two
did not interoperate, things WOULD start failing.

And do you believe that people would simply sit on their hands and lament
the lack of interoperability?

If you use one root, everybody agrees what things look like.

If you use multiple roots, what people will see depends on which root they ask.

How is this political?

"...That one root must be supported by a set of coordinated root servers
administered by a unique naming authority."