nanog mailing list archives

Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

From: Scott Gifford <sgifford () tir com>
Date: 08 Mar 2001 18:50:25 -0500

"David Schwartz" <davids () webmaster com> writes:

Personally, I would hope that the rules would be the same as if you were
trying to start a new business or magazine with the name in the domain
name (I am making no judgement on how close UDRP is to that ideal).  By
that criteria, I am sure that if you tried to start a company or magazine
named "Walmart Sucks" you would hear from their lawyers and they would be
equally successful.

    Surely owning a domain is more like naming a book or magazine article
than naming a business. After all, businesses are not the only Internet
sites.

I agree.  In fact, during the heydey of "Beverly Hills 90210", I
remember a monthly newsletter called "The I Hate Brenda Newsletter" or
some such thing, which was a parody fanzine for Shannon Doherty, the
actress who played Brenda.  It was a quite funny piece of pop-culture
parody, and I'm sure the magazine would have been shut down if
copyright law allowed Fox Networks to.

-----ScottG.