nanog mailing list archives

Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

From: Joe Provo <joe.provo () rcn com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:22:53 -0500

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:06:23PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
[snip]
The more I look at this the more it looks like
an good old fasioned root hijack.  The difference
this time is they already have the network of servers,
and they already have some ISPs lined up.

Uh, yah. That was my point re: masses, etc.

We apparently have different assumptions implicit in "adding any new
TLDs".  Root servers, like rule of law, is a consensual social delusion.
I'm not one that likes to limit my reachability, so from my perspective
no, they aren't added and I only see them through the subdomains of
new.net.  Interesting how aware they are of their present lack of
critical mass; see their explicit instructions for non-windoze OS users.
They don't ask end-users to add their servers in, but rather to simply
extend their resolver search to look under new.net.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375