nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definition of Tier-1

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:31:03 -0700

On 06/08/01, RJ Atkinson <rja () inet org> wrote:

At 17:43 07/06/01, J.D. Falk wrote:
       Breaking down?  It used to be that anyone connected directly
       to an exchange point was tier one, and the tiers are pretty
       obvious beyond that.  Now that everyone's at the exchanges,
       "tier one" is simply a marketing term.

        Curious.  I've never heard that definition of Tier-1 before.
The common definition is "doesn't pay any other ISP to exchange routes
and traffic", or so I've thought for the past decade.

        You know...the fact that nobody else has heard of it is making
        me start to think that I must've fallen for marketing drivel
        from a previous employer.

        See how insidious this stuff is?

--
J.D. Falk                                                SILENCE IS FOO!
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>