nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why so little traffic from C&W

From: George William Herbert <gherbert () retro com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:47:03 -0700

JD wrote:
Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> wrote:
I believe the whole structure of tier1, tier2 etc is breaking down and
everybody is going after all customers, and that this will have
interesting implications in the future.

      Breaking down?  It used to be that anyone connected directly
      to an exchange point was tier one, and the tiers are pretty
      obvious beyond that.  Now that everyone's at the exchanges,
      "tier one" is simply a marketing term.

To "an" exchange point?

It certainly didn't start out that way; in the 93-94 timeframe it
was pretty clear tier 1's brought their bandwidth around the country
and connected wherever possible, not just at one point.

I have to agree that the "structure" is breaking down, if nothing
else because people don't agree with what the definitions are
(though, a coherent case can be made that we never did...
like peering policies spinning in the wind, definitions have
changed a lot over the years).

-george william herbert
gherbert () retro com