nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definition of Tier-1

From: Austin Schutz <tex () off org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:10:01 -0700

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:24:25AM -0400, RJ Atkinson wrote:

At 17:43 07/06/01, J.D. Falk wrote:
       Breaking down?  It used to be that anyone connected directly
       to an exchange point was tier one, and the tiers are pretty
       obvious beyond that.  Now that everyone's at the exchanges,
       "tier one" is simply a marketing term.

        Curious.  I've never heard that definition of Tier-1 before.
The common definition is "doesn't pay any other ISP to exchange routes
and traffic", or so I've thought for the past decade.

Ran

        If you have an ISP which is diversely connected to all other(?)
tier-1 providers, and has a peering relationship such that the other
tier-1s only announce the ISP's routes to their customers, then it would seem
the ISP is from a technical standpoint a tier-1 provider.
        IMO as an engineer and not a marketeer, who pays who should not have
bearing on that definition, though I agree that the "doesn't pay" definition
is the one I am familiar with.

        Austin