nanog mailing list archives

RE: product liability (was 'we should all be uncomfortable with t he extent to which luck..')

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:05:13 -0700

From: William Allen Simpson [mailto:wsimpson () greendragon com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 11:43 PM

Perhaps a different approach is in order -- product liability.

Network operators have been injured by the distribution of
buggy software from M$.  We need to be compensated for our
time and expenses.

End users need to be compensated for their costs to upgrade.

A check in the mail would be a better incentive to
administrators than "automatic" updates.

Now *there's* a thought. However, all software companies carry product
liability insurance. It's sometimes called a shrink-wrap license. You might
actually try reading it the next time you purchase and install software.