nanog mailing list archives

Re: 'we should all be uncomfortable with the extent to which luck ..'

From: David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:30:01 -0400

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:09:44PM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 02:45:44PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
telnetd is not inherently bad.  It is a tool that is lacking the
session encryption and strong authentication features of SSH, but is
still useful in some cases.  Like any tool it can be used poorly, but
that is not the fault of the tool.

      Agreed.

For example, when traveling, I can log in securely from any random
Internet cafe using OPIE or S/Key one-time passwords via telnet.  SSH
requires that you trust your local machine, and OPIE assumes that you
don't.

      Incorrect.  OPIE assumes complete trust of your local machine,
but not the network.  You still have to generate the hashes using your
password.

Not at all.  You don't have to generate the hashes on your local
machine.  Most people using OPIE (or any one-time password scheme)
have a hardware device (i.e. Palm Pilot) to calculate the hashes.  As
you say, it would be rather silly to calculate the hashes on the
untrusted machine!

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw () jabberwocky com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/