nanog mailing list archives

Re: Out of band monitoring of equipment

From: Scott Gifford <sgifford () tir com>
Date: 21 Nov 2000 15:23:46 -0500

John Leong <johnleong () research bell-labs com> writes:

Curious if any operator uses, or have interest in using, out of band
network (e.g. modem, wireless etc.) for remote equipment (routers,
switches, HVAC etc.) monitoring over and above doing it in band on the
Internet.

In past jobs, we have done this for both administration and some
monitoring.

For administration, we just used an old Annex3 terminal server as a
serial connection mux.  We plugged up to 64 serial cables into the
consoles of various devices, and connected a modem to one of
those serial cables.  That worked really well.

For monitoring, a team that I worked with had a machine that monitored
the network and had a connection to a phone line to issue pages when
things broke.

I think these are both fairly common setups.

Hope this helps,

------ScottG.