nanog mailing list archives

Re: Out of band monitoring of equipment

From: "Edward S. Marshall" <emarshal () logic net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:45:45 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, John Leong wrote:
Curious if any operator uses, or have interest in using, out of band
network (e.g. modem, wireless etc.) for remote equipment (routers,
switches, HVAC etc.) monitoring over and above doing it in band on the
Internet.

This was standard practice in a former life (all alerting was done via a
separately-provisioned POTS line to pagers, along with email notification
for serious issues); this wasn't just for remote equipment, but also for
equipment on our main premesis. I'm in the process of rolling it out where
I am now.

Check the archives; I'm sure I've seen Sean Donelan and others discuss
this before.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal () logic net>           http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/
[                  Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.                  ]