nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR Report

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 10:54:34 -0400

In message <003301bfbd8b$ae6f5960$eaaf6cc7@PEREGRIN>, "Roeland M.J. Meyer" writ
es:

Owen DeLong: Saturday, May 13, 2000 3:35 PM

I actually agree with you here as well. relying on infinite
router table growth is not a scalable strategy. We need
something else.

Just a small technicality here, noone is talking about
infinite routing
table growth.  There are only 4 billion (roughly) possible prefixes
if you route every node as a /32.  While 4 billion is a large number,
it is far from infinity.

Well, that statement was obviously not intended literally. But, since we're
throwing around numbers ...

Simply taking addresses only, that comes out to ~16GB. At $100 per 64MB
this is about $25,000.00US in RAM, at current retail rates (prices may
vary by vendor). It's also about $16,000.00US of EMC disk-space. This
means that one full table would cost about $41KUS, just to store it.
But, what will this do to performance of such a router that's working
in a gig-E environment? The index table to access this puppy would be
larger than the prefix table. This could easily double the cost, say $82KUS?
Considering that I just paid $98KUS for a Cisco Catalyst 6509, I guess
this isn't too bad. However, this is only IPv4 and it is a bunch more than
the cost of the average BGP-capable router and every router on the backbone
would have to be upgraded. This is conservative since I have not yet allowed
for memory structure overhead. However, code-space would be relatively trivial
,
even Microsoft wouldn't be able to bloat it enough so anyone else would notice
.

Of course, note that the real problem isn't the memory space, it's the
CPU time to calculate the routing table updates.  Note, too, that the
more unaggregated prefixes in the net, the more changes will need to be
propagated to every other router in the default-free zone, implying the
need for more instances of a more expensive calculation.

                --Steve Bellovin