nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR Report

From: brett watson <bwatson () mibh net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:43:48 -0700

Gee..., why didn't anyone else think of that?
Cisco, are you listening?  You need to make a GSR that does BGP
updates faster, ok?  While you're at it, you need to write bug-free
software and build routers that never fail, ok?

C'mon. I'm obviously not suggesting it is as easy as "ask and ye shall
receive". My point here is that demand drives the market, and if it
becomes clear that routers with faster BGP implementations are what is
needed, that is just what the vendors will (eventually, at least)
develope.

you're forgetting (or not admitting here) that a corporation's primary
motivators are profit and shareholder value.  a vendor will surely
develop anything that gains them significant market share, or
significant increase in profits, or significant increase in revenues.
driven by demand alone, a market is not.

"routers with faster bgp implemetations are what is needed" is what we
say, but the question a vendor asks is "does it increase my profit
margin, revenues, or market position?".  what we "want" is mostly
irrelevant.

-b