nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR Report

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:17:15 -0400

On Mon, 15 May 2000 15:05:45 EDT, Chris Williams <chris.williams () third-rail net>  said:
"routers with faster bgp implemetations are what is needed" is what we
say, but the question a vendor asks is "does it increase my profit
margin, revenues, or market position?".  what we "want" is mostly
irrelevant.
Don't you think introducing something which is A) In significant demand,
and B) Nobody else has, generally works to increase one's market share?

You (and a lot of other people) seem to have forgotten a line item:

C) Price Point.  How much are people willing/able to PAY for such a feature,
and how many do you have to sell at that price to offset the R&D costs?

Sure, *any* good router vendor can build a router that can handle 100 million
routing table entries.  The questions are (a) can they do it for a pricetag
of under $2M, and (b) how many will they sell?

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst