nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR Report

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <joe.provo () rcn com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 09:55:03 -0400

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 11:28:42PM -0400, ww () shadowfax styx org wrote:
[snip]
A  small group  if service  providers  in the  same geographical  area
jointly apply for a good sized block of address space, say a /18. They
also jointly  apply for an ASN  from which this address  space will be
advertised  (they could  just as  well each  advertise it  from within
their own  AS, but some people  don't like seeing  inconsistent ASs in
the global BGP tables). When they  get a customer that may only need a
/24 that  wants to be multi-homed,  they suggest that they  get a feed
from one of the other providers in the group.
[snip]

Something about those who do not study history applies here... Tony Li
had a draft in 1996 for an ISPAC (ISP Address Coalition).  Seek ye the
CIDRd archives; I'm sure there's still a copy of draft-li-ispac-??.txt
out there somewhere.  My memory's faulty, but I don't recall it going
past 00 into the light of day.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375