nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: "danielle v." <hvn () wildstar net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 23:07:09 -0600 (CST)

On 14 Jan 2000, Paul Vixie wrote:

Date: 14 Jan 2000 18:41:48 -0800
From: Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

That's a misleading question.  MAPS RSS doesn't probe for relay openness
unless spam has been received from the relay in question.  OTOH, if there
is spam receipt and if the relay doesn't appear to be reachable, a human
operator can decide that a firewall might be involved and block the relay
in spite of our inability to test it.

MAPS RSS never blocks whole address ranges, only /32's.

ORBS is apparently blocking whole /16's belonging to Abovenet only because
Abovenet refuses to have whole /16's probed for SMTP servers and then having
each such server probed for relay openness.  (I can't say as I blame them.)
--
Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>

In effect, Above.net is (by filtering the ORBS probes) licensing every single IP
in their /16 to spam via the sordid and detailed means that ORBS works to
prevent.

This is an incorrect assumption? Please educate me as to how this is the
wrong way to view this.

I am under the assumption that the said block on Above.net/16 didn't go into
effect until ORBS itself was blocked - thus the resulting block on Above.net.

danielle v