nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:20:13 -0500

Randy Bush wrote:

Please let me just say that I believe your post has gone a long way
towards proving that your net.friends may not have been 100% right!

if there was a market for nerd hysteria/hyperbole, there would be no need
for internet ipos.

Uh, I don't understand this comment, Randy.  He was giving you a
compliment -- your lucid posting showed that your net.freinds were not
100% correct, when saying that "rational discussion of anti-spam seemed
socially impossible."

We _can_ have a rational discussion, it just doesn't seem to happen
very often.  :-)

Meanwhile, although I do not use ORBS for blocking, I do occaisionally
use it for testing.  Unfortunately, I used it for testing my site, and
it discovered that the (commercial) mailing software still supports
the old % hack, and now ORBS blocks the site.  I dunno why that is
considered "spam".  Anyway, the commercial folks didn't know it was
still in there, either, and it will be eradicated in the next release.

WSimpson () UMich edu