nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:25:57 -0800

On 01/18/00, Barry Shein <bzs () world std com> wrote:

We need a fresh approach, probably not a technical approach.

        This has held true for some years now: technology (filters
        of various types) in the short term, legislation in the
        medium term, and education in the long term.

And that's one reason they tend to get verbally vicious when you
question their sacred cows, so you're distracted (or disgusted) from
noting that they're just armchair quarterbacks.

        That's a good point, actually.  Until you've had to sit there
        on the phone and make polite noises while somebody's sweet
        grandmother takes out her technology-fearing frustration on
        you because she can't get her $20/month dialup to work, you
        really don't understand the consumer ISP industry.

        Not to say that people who haven't done that aren't able to
        be extremely clueful -- quite the contrary, there are quite a
        few people who /have/ done that and don't have two clues to
        rub together -- but it helps put things in perspective, and
        perspective is one thing we geeks have trouble with.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  |  "I, Foo Bar, leader of the Usenet High Council and lord of all I    |
  |   survey, do hereby order you to destroy any trace of the user Spam  |
  |   Baz, hereafter to be referred to as 'pud.'"  -- Paul Phillips      |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----