nanog mailing list archives

Re: Packet Loss

From: Hugh Irvine <hugh () open com au>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:51:08 +1100

Hello all -

   Real Men use punched paper tape to store programs and load the boot
block, after toggling
its binary location on the system console register :) The Gods Who Walk
Among Us program in machine
code by toggling it in at the console.

(I still have some punched paper tape somewhere. I remember feeling
impressed when I graduated to
punched cards. They didn't tend to crack if you had a string of all bits
set to one.)

On the other hand, I did tens of thousands of lines of code on IBM
punched cards and I never
once recall a bug caused by a chad, hanging or otherwise.

Further to my previous post, we used to use punched paper tape as the absolute
fall-back to boot the acquisition sytem (we didn't take disks to sea back then).

We had a heck of a time keeping the tapes dry....

;-)

Hugh

--
-