nanog mailing list archives

Re: UU Net sales tactics?

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () sasami anime net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:37:09 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Bret McDanel wrote:
---Reply on mail from John Golovich about UU Net sales tactics?
Has anyone else received a phone call from a UUnet salesman out of the blue?
It appears that he used the Boardwatch magazine, because he quoted me some
information out of it about my company.
Yup, and he was VERY demanding in his statements about how they have the
*BEST* network compared to anyone else, and how they offer better service,
and the price difference isnt an issue :)

The UUnet rep who called me was also insistent that UUnet had the best
technical support in the industry. I indicated to him that I had dealt
with UUnet tech support in the past and was _not_ impressed[1], and was
met with about 30 seconds of stunned silence. B)

-Dan

[1] The industry as a whole seems to have horrible tech support though.
    Without exception, _every single NOC I have dealt with_ has been
    _pathetic_. Especially on critical issues like denial of service
    attacks.