nanog mailing list archives

Re: [fjk].gtld-servers.net bogus for .com

From: Dean Robb <pceasy () norfolk infi net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:03:20 -0500

At 17:53 11/11/98 -0800, you wrote:

[fjk] do _not_ serve domain names starting with [fjk].  All servers serve
all names.  Without knowing more, what you experienced could have had any
number of causes.

Ah, thanks for the lesson.  This is why I like NANOG even though I'm not a
network guru.  I learn more about how the 'Net works all the time from here.

I don't know when people first were aware of this, and I would hope some
were aware before I complained ~1000PST and NSI should have been aware
right away when it happened, since if they don't have automated checking
of each server that has a very high notification priority they are even
worse than stupid, so I'm somewhat doubtful it started at midnight.  But
it is possible.  NSI does make it hard for anyone who may notice it to
contact them.

That would have been around the right time...I had a few domains that were
dead when I tried them around 11pm EST and a ton of them that died after
midnight Eastern.

false negatives.  I know of three that were like that, and have had
reports of more.  Anyone asking one of those servers would be incorrectly
told the domain doesn't exist.

That's exactly what I was seeing.  One moment they were there, then when
next I tried to get a page, it was gone..."Cannot connect to server".

Thanks again for the instruction, O Wise One!

Spammers should be investigated by Ken Starr!

Dean Robb
PC-EASY computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]