nanog mailing list archives

Re: different thinking on exchanging traffic

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 12:39:13 -0400

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 10:02:47PM -0500, Tim Salo wrote:
I have two conflicting notions about the the interesting possibilities
offered by nationwide layer-two services:

o     Layer-two services with distance-insensitive pricing, such as
      ATM, create some interesting opportunities.  If it doesn't cost
      any more to get across the country than to get across town, why
      should I build a local NAP rather than a nationwide NAP?  (Unless,
      of course, I am a RBOC and am administratively constrained from
      offering inter-LATA service.)  (I am also ignoring a comparison
      of a NAP-in-a-closet/POP/parking ramp versus a
      NAP-in-a-metropolitan-area; this is e-mail to nanog, not a
      paper for Sigcomm.)  Perhaps more relevant today, why should I
      build a regional Gigapop, _if_ my ATM pricing is truly
      distance-insensitive?  (There might be an answer to the last
      question, I really don't know.  But, I keep asking.)

      In other words, if pricing is distance-insensitive, why do I
      need local exchanges?

Forgive me, but kee-rist!  Haven't I bung this drum enough this month?

Because, more and more as the net penetrates, the traffic is more and
more _local_.  Geographically local.  My point about MAE-East-in-a-garage
was that there was only _one_ of them; where it _was_ was only thrown
in for spite.

Especially as the net becomes more used for telecommuting, there is
absolutely _no_ sense in my having to telnet from St Pete 30 miles to
Tampa via a router in Maryland or San Francisco, "just" because the two
sites in question decided to buy their connectivity from different
backbones.

o     Distance matters.  It is easy to configure an IP network over
      a large layer-two service that bounces packets around the country,
      (because IP routing protocols generally think in terms of hop
      count, not [physical] distance).  It would be nice if
      routing protocols thought about [physical] distance, rather
      than require the network designer to be responsible for
      designing the network such that considerations of physical
      distance were implicit in the network design.  Of course, in the
      good old days before distance-insensitive-priced services, this
      wasn't such an issue.

I don't know if it's _possible_ to push this into the routing layer --
even if the routing protocol decides not to ship those 30 mile packets
3000 miles... it doesn't _matter_ if there's no link to _put them on_.

It's obvious that it's time for my nap (no pun intended), my underscore
quotient has shot through the roof.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com